Sunday, April 29, 2012

Stain, I was a soldier once


Stain
By Felicia Whatley
I was a soldier once, so young and so strong
I was a soldier once; I ran forever and did push-ups for fun
I was a soldier once, and I thought I would be forever, but I was wrong
As a soldier I remember crawling through the mud; it was in my face, my clothes, all over the place
As a soldier, I lay in my fox hole in the rain or snow, I was shivering, I was cold
As a soldier, I could accomplish anything, and then I got old
I was a soldier once, and I miss it so much
I was a soldier once, I could go days not knowing if there would be dinner or lunch.
I was a soldier once, I felt the quake of the battlefield and the deafening sound of hate
I was a soldier once, and I though I tried not to, I could relate.
As a soldier I was taught to never wear my emotions on my sleeves
As a soldier I fought to keep a straight face, but sometimes it was impossible
As a soldier I was supposed to be tough and never ever give up
As a soldier I could topple mountains, blow through buildings, everything was possible
I was a soldier once and stark eyed and bushy tailed I wanted to trust my comrades
I was a soldier and soldiers never hurt their fellow soldiers, I would always be happy
I was a soldier once and I would never leave a fallen comrade behind,
I was a soldier and once I carried a girl 11 miles, she was cut up real bad
I was a soldier once and I cared for every living soul
As a soldier I thought this is me, this is who I am and will always be
As a soldier I took an oath to put others needs before my own
As a soldier I put my team before my needs even if I was hungry or couldn’t hardly breathe
As a soldier there was no concept of time, just reality, however long it took
I was a soldier once, and my uniform used to fit
I was a soldier once and I love my country and every place they would send me to help
I was a soldier once and I believed in the mission and my mission, how can I help thee
I was a soldier once, and it is still a part of me.
As a civilian I still hit the deck when a jar breaks at the grocery store.
As a civilian I don’t have to count carbs or worry about physical fitness tests
As a civilian, I miss the me I used to be.
As a civilian I look for my side arm when I roll out of bed. Should I buy one?
As a civilian I wonder still what it means to feel normal
As a soldier and a civilian I lay awake at night and think and think and worry
As a soldier and a civilian I dream of being there, part of something more important than me
 I was a soldier once and I did my duty with pride, there nothing cooler than being a G.I.
I was a soldier once and the money for school was good
I was a soldier once and I would wear my uniform in public if I had to, and people would thank me
I was a soldier once and wondered if I would ever feel free
As a civilian I don’t panic before putting on a uniform
As a civilian I can sleep in and be warm and out of the rain
As a civilian the Army will never leave me, it sits on my soul like a stain
As a civilian I dream of coming back in
As a soldier I never knew if coming to work meant getting hurt
As a soldier I tried to stay super organized and in a route
As a soldier I would get nervous but I would say what need to be said
As a soldier I was a leader but I never got promoted
As a civilian I don’t allow superiors treat me like that ever again
As a civilian, I wish my body was in shape like it used to be
As a civilian I am trying to make it in the real word
As a civilian I make $300 a week as a newspaper journalist
As a civilian, I don’t think I’ll ever dig myself out of debt and get ahead
As a civilian I live with my parents and wish things would change
As a civilian, when I sleep I dream of being an important soldier once again.
I was a soldier and I never will be again.

No comments:

Post a Comment