Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Globalization and Development

My studies are in international relations and so globalization, development, and its impact on the world is imperative to discuss. Class was very engaging today  as we came to the conclusion that as a consumer based economy the world would crumble to its own demise as we selfishly use up our fossil fuels and financially collapse as the wants and needs continue to take over like an earth shattering earth quake that lasts infinitely until everything falls apart.

I am reading a story today on Wall Street Journal about Europe doing a massive overseeing of their financial situation and basically auditing all their banks. Inflation continues and borrowing is not a thing of the past. I too have some credit card debt I am chipping away at. After being unemployed for a few months, I quickly went through my savings and found the only way I could pay my bills was with my credit cards. Agoff. What a scary thing that was to get those bills in the mail and realize I had no idea how I was going to pay them.

Again I thank God for the jobs I do have now, though taxing and taking some of my energy from my studies, I see a means to an end. But my credit took a hit and that is traumatizing. Are there others out there trying to dig themselves out of a hole? Bit by bit I see hope. But it is our government and their terrible investment practices that have pretty much left themselves with no other choice but to go bankrupt. Why does the U.S. government weigh so heavily on the top 500 money making corporations? Perhaps they should not get so involved in big business.

So that is where the plot thickens and inside trading, false reports of earning, and lobbying can be negative things. Can we turn it around as journalists, investigators, and social sciences looking to implement policy? Yes I definitely think  we can and we absolutely must or we will all be in the unemployment line looking for tidbits to survive off of. I laugh when I hear Obama say he has another "Stimulus Plan" . Or remember when Bush sent us checks in the mail for a few hundred bucks that was supposed to help the Trickle Down economy ideal. Yeah I spent that check alright and so did everyone else, which left us with more stuff and an even bigger disappointment. I can't even remember what I spent it on. Isn't that sad?

Capitalism is not dead it just needs a few EKG jolts and a reality check. We need to understand why we were downgraded from a AAA to a AA and what we need to do to avoid the impeding recession barking at our heals. We can't send everyone to college to learn a new skill and we can't afford not to outsource. So what is the solution? With these Occupy Boston pleas for less stratification. I stand tall and say "Why can't we have a flat tax?" Perhaps of say 10% of everyone's income. I don't care if it is a Republican, Democrat, or Social Nazi that proposes such a thing, but it really makes sense. Ten percent of what you make, whatever the number is would go towards social reforms.

I am not totally against Socialized medicine. I have VA and I think it wouldn't be much different. I am lucky to have VA health insurance. It has its downfalls like it won't cover ambulances or dental (only for the few), but I am getting free healthcare. I think we need some kind of hybrid of socialized medicine and privatization. We will see how Obama Care swims or sinks. If all else fails there is medical tourism, so once again an outsourcing , comes close to home. Or does it? Many organ recipients wait until they die in America before they have the chance to try on another organ. But if they got on the short waiting list in India they could pay half the price and survive. And in America if you don't have health insurance and you get cancer or something else serious, likely you will have to go bankrupt, because the hospital costs are ridiculous.

So as a solution, we need a flat tax and a health reform that an average Joe can afford. Companies should be held liable for not providing health care for their workers, a hospital or doctor visit should not cost that much, and yes banks like Bank of America should be audited by a huge oversight committees. I got 18 overdraft fees totaling $800 with Bank of America, because they would not freeze or close my account. They just keep resubmitting a check that I apparently had insufficient funds for.

I camped out in their office and demanded they close the account and give me a chance to pay the check. They wouldn't do it for almost two weeks this seize to my finances went on. Shame on them. Paying off the check was easy. I got paid a few days later, but those over draft fees chased me for 5 years. They are just evil. I feel taken advantage of. Banks like that have no right to operate. That was stealing as far as I am concerned. They were so big they thought they could get away with anything. Things have changed now Credit Unions are the big craze.

What are your solutions? I would like to hear, because I think Washington needs to as well.

2 comments:

  1. I have no solutions but you make a compelling argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Are there others out there trying to dig themselves out of a hole?"
    YES! Many, a majority even.

    Re-"Obamacare" (Or Medicaidforeveryone) In Massachusetts, residents are a bit insulated because of RomneyCare.

    RE-SOLUTION-YES! There is a push for everyone (not just occupy people) who agrees with you, and there are MANY, to withdraw all funds from the big banks and put these funds in local credit unions. I belong to USAlliance. It's fabulous.

    If you want to be a part of it, the day for the action is NOVEMBER 5, 2011


    Check this out-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKo1s4l8wVQ

    PS-I thoroughly enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete