Tuesday, November 15, 2011

UMB Veterans Day Dinner

This year the Veterans Day Dinner at UMass Boston felt especially nice, because I know this year will be my last year to attend. I got my picture taken with the Chancellor, listened to poem roastings of distinguished staff members, like my former boss Kevin Bowen, and ate a delicious meal surrounded by friends and co-workers, who have served in the Navy, Marines, Air Force and Army.

I brought my friend Colina from class, and I had a blast introducing her to the Provost Winston Langley, the VA Representative Gus St. Silva, and Upward Bound Director Barry Brodsky. Like me, she felt a sense of community here at UMass. Spending time with the folks that run UMB really gives you a chance to embrace a sense of ownership as a student here. Gus and I were cracking jokes about how awful the National Anthem singer last year was. This year we brought in some students from another university, I think in Framingham, to do justice to the colors. They were awsome.

Spinellis' did a great job feeding us. There had to be at least 100 people there, but since I knew so many of them the room felt smaller than it was. I liked the sausage the best. It was full of flavor and I had way too much coffee. I don't know how I slept that night. The cake was beautiful as well, made with real sweet frosting, like places used to make cakes.

Then there were the raffle tickets and unbelievable great gifts to win. Carole deSouza, you had me laughing so hard! She is a riot. As MC, Carole you had even the folks behind the podium cracking up.  Someone had to sign for the IPAD and Gus commented "IPAD (winner) you just re-enlisted for another 4 more years."

I sat next to Colina and Dominque Powell, the 2009 JFK winner, who now works full-time at Upward Bound, goes to grad school at BU, and is in the Air Force Reserves. She was also a former Marine. The vet dinner just happened to fall on the date of the Marine Corps birthday. Someone behind the podium made sure to mention the special date and it was followed by much Hoorahs!

The guy in Army uniform smelled like he just came from the field. I laughed to myself about that. It was a fun night and I will miss these school events. The Chancellor's speech was honest and real like most of the crowd. All in all, it was a night to remember.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds lovely. I agree that spending time with people who work for UMB gives you a chance to embrace a sense of belonging to a community. I like your tone and details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! I've found that it can be really dificult to find that sense of community at UMB and it it's interesting to hear about the places it pops up in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time, i'm glad UMB hosts events like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lauren about community at UMB. It's hard here, being a commuter school and all. But I'm glad that events like this happen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great night. Thanks so much for all that you do!

    ReplyDelete