Friday, September 23, 2011

Superman

Superman

Published: Monday, March 2, 2009
Updated: Saturday, September 12, 2009 03:09


In reflection of Valentine's Day, I wake each morning dwelling on thoughts of Luke. We don't have a "Dear Abby" column and I'm not sure I would do it justice, but each morning I kick myself in the ass for letting a real life Superman get away. His friend said, "We had to take his cape away."

Luke is tall, handsome, sarcastic, funny, and endearing. He is sensitive, intelligent and athletic. He is resourceful and has a Special Forces background.

I don't remember how we met, but Luke was British military and we dated a bit overseas in Bosnia and Iraq. I went to Camp McGovern (Bosnia) to visit a few of my troops. He found out about a future chemical/biological attack in Tuzla, the town nearest the camp, so he tried to rescue me by crashing through the T-walls. He broke several bones and could not prevent the inevitable. What was being pumped out of the "coal plant" was catastrophic. I loved him so much for that. But there was no way out of the situation.

I saw Luke again in 2007 in the IZ Green Zone Iraq, now working a private security detail. He tried to steal an infamous red Bronco; a real sniper magnet. I couldn't believe I was assigned to drive it. Luke punched my commander in the face (never mind why) and said to me "I want to kidnap you, but my government won't let me." That is the most romantic thing anyone could say to me, ever, and coming from him the sweetest thing I had ever heard.

I don't know how to get a hold of Luke. But when I fall asleep I dream about him. I remember on Christmas Eve in his compound between the sandbags and trailers, we had zero privacy and we just did not care. We just tore each other's clothes off.  I think about that and laugh. That was the best part of the whole deployment. I hadn't seen him in years and I didn't know it until I got home, but he was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I don't know what the future holds, but if there is such a thing as soul mates, I am sure I will see him again. I believe in space and time. If it is meant to be, God will make it happen. He is definitely a real life Superman, and I'm well, I guess a Lois Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment