Friday, September 23, 2011

What Does it Take to Fix a Few Potholes in Quincy

What Does it Take to Fix a Few Potholes in Quincy?

Published: Monday, April 20, 2009
Updated: Saturday, September 12, 2009 03:09


What does it take to fix a few pot holes in Quincy? It's Saturday night and I'm hungry and as usual I have nothing in the house to eat other than college survival food: Ramen noodle soup, a can of tuna fish, and peanut butter and jelly. Deciding not to wait on my friends, I hop in the car and head down the street to North Quincy's famous watering hole The Irish Pub.

It's four o'clock, but I'm starving. I just got two fillings two days ago and food seems that much more important after paying $130 to save my pretty teeth. Men are preoccupied by what's on the televisions, or who can laugh loudest.

So I'm in this Irish pub surrounded by a predominately Catholic Celtic world of soccer and joshery toward women. They speak with their deep accents and quickly point out what parts of their homeland they are from. Even the waitresses are Irish, beautiful, strong, and quick witted.

I suddenly find myself surrounded by machinists, and mechanics. I have a have a couple beers and feel boldly enlightened, "What is the deal with the pot holes in Quincy?"
How many times do you have to go over the same one on Neponset Bridge? "You are right about that one", says another patron.

If you are in the right lane, you are fucked. Your whole tire sneaks in and then flys out.
The car rattled something awful. And you wonder did my tire blow out or do I need to get my car realigned again? I drive this route every day to UMass Boston and I have learned after replacing my tires to swerve into the left lane and hope I will not get hit.

"What do I need to do to get pot holes like these filled in Quincy?"

The machinists and the mechanics laughed and said, "Well you can keep bringing me more business." Or I could write a little to someone who drives a nice SUV, blows her tire out on Neponset Bridge, and upon reading this in the paper, gets so pissed off that she calls her governor and state rep to get this stuff done.

All I have to say is the streets in Iraq were easier to drive in than Quincy and Boston. I could get my vehicle fixed quickly and reasonably and the roads were not a jigsaw puzzle. Please Quincy, do your part and make our commutes safer.

I would just like to drive to school and not worry about having to get my car realigned or needing new tires, because I hit those pot holes. Will someone please fix this?

No comments:

Post a Comment